As many of you know... I love pearls!
Pearls are more fragile than most other gemstones, so you should handle them carefully to keep them safe from scratches.
- put your pearls on after you have applied make-up and perfume.
- You can clean your pearls with a soft, lint free cloth before and after wearing
- If you want you can dampen the cloth. Allow the pearls to air dry before storing them in a soft container or bag that allows them to breath.
- Take off all pearl jewelry before bathing. And, gemstone jewelry too. Shower and bath soaps are too harsh for pearls.
- You can clean pearls with a mild soap and water solution (Ivory).
- Never use solutions that contain ammonia or harsh detergents.
- Pearls can not be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.
- Rubbing pearls with abrasive cleaners or clothes can wear away the nacre coating.
- You can actually remove the coating of the pearl.
- Don't store your pearls with other jewelry. They can be scratched when metal or gemstones rub against them. Keep them in a soft bag made from chamois or another soft fabric.
- Restring your favorite pearl necklaces and bracelets periodically so that you're sure the silk or nylon cord holding them is in good shape.
- If you notice any problems with the clasp, cord or extra slack in the piece stop wearing it and have it checked out for problems.
- Last, but not least... Wear your pearls! Take them out and give them some air and attention.